The Department of Posts, has introduced an
International Money Transfer System in association with Money Gram
Payment Systems, Inc., USA to offer to the general public. It was
launched by Honíble Minister of Communications & Information
Technology on 29th Sepí11 in 40 selected Post Offices of Tamil Nadu from 29th
Sepí11. The service is now available in
324 post offices all over
MoneyGram Transfer service is a fast, simple and convenient method.
In India, a person can receive money from abroad
through this service.
- Money can never be paid to any other representative.
- This service operates as per the guidelines of the
Reserve Bank of India.
- Only personal remittances such as remittances towards
family maintenance and remittances favouring foreign tourists
visiting India are permissible under MoneyGram.
- Trade related remittances, remittances towards
purchase of property, investments or credit to NRE Accounts, etc, or
donations/contributions to charitable organizations are NOT
- A single remittance under this service should not
exceed USD 2500 or its equivalent.
- Not more than 30 remittances are allowed to be
received by a single individual beneficiary through this service in
a calendar year.
- Sender and Receiver of a transaction must be
- In case of a foreign tourist, acceptable form of ID is
a valid passport and visa copy.
- A transaction must only be searched by the REFERENCE
NUMBER of eight digits.
- Receiverís Photo ID, Receive Form, Systemís Payment
confirmation, and Receivers receipt preserved for 10 years.
- Payment made only if the information filled by the
receiver in the Receive Form matches with the information appearing
in MoneyGram System.
- A payment should never be made without marking the
transaction in the system first.
- Money is paid in Indian Rupees only at ongoing
- Payments greater than Indian Rupees 50,000/- is paid
- All KYC/AML/CFT norms/rules/regulations/instructions,
as mentioned in Reserved Bank of India Master Circular No.
14/2011-12 dated 01st Julí11, as amended from time to
time, and all the requirements under the provisions of Prevention of
Money Laundering Act,2002 and the rules, regulations made
there-under, are applicable to the remittances received under this
- MoneyGram has established a Call Centre, which
Click here to view alphabetical list of
Post Offices offering MoneyGram service